Ever since Whatsapp updated its privacy terms. People started looking for new ways to stay connected with their friends and family members. Numerous apps came into the limelight, but the one that stole all the thunder was the Signal App. Thanks to Elon Musk’s tweet, people are downloading the app at god’s speed. Whenever there is a new trend, people are often baffled and look to gain information about it. If you are one of them, then this article can help you gain some insights about the app. In today’s article, we will decode all information there is to know about this app.
What is Signal App?
The signal app messaging and voice-talk platform, which is free of cost, similar to WhatsApp. The most important difference is in “Privacy”. Even, the tagline of the Signal messaging app is “Say hello to privacy”. A line that most users will resonate with, given the current circumstances with Whatsapp.
If you visit the Wikipedia page of the signal app, you will find that it was launched on the 29th of July 2014. But according to the current information, the stable version of the app was released in December 2020 for android and in January for the IOS platform.
The Signal app runs on donations it gets from the non-profit Signal Foundation organization. Brian Acton, the co-founder of WhatsApp, and Moxie Marlinspike, the CEO of the Signal messenger app. started The Signal Foundation.
How Does Signal App Work?
All things considered, using the Signal app is quite simple. You can easily download it onto your iPhone, Android, or desktop for free and begin chatting with your friends and family members. Registration is done with simply your phone number, and the app would then be able to scan over your contacts to see which numbers in your contacts are using Signal messaging app.
You can use this app on either your phone or PC. If you start a chat using your phone, you can use a QR code to sign in on your PC and continue the rest of the conversation there — however, you won’t have the option to see the past messages (the ones you sent using your phone). Signal messages are stored on mobile phones, rather than in the digital space of the app. That is because Signal uses an open-source protocol to encrypt everything from messages to recordings, voice updates to photographs. In tech-talk, that implies you can look at the source code keeping your Signal messages hidden for just yourself on GitHub. In easy words, it implies that your messages will remain your messages — if you are the only one who can access your phones, then you’ll be the only one who’ll see them.
Key Features of Signal App:
It’s a messaging app. This app lets users send messages between two phones. Like you can send instant messages to your friends and family members online. In this way, you don’t need to pay SMS charges to your service provider.
Private and Safe Data Sharing
It provides a messaging network that lets the user send messages with end-to-end encryption which keeps your messages secure. They don’t invade your privacy by reading your messages and listening to your calls. The platform is secure so no one else can read or listen to your private conversations
Voice and Video calling
You can now call and video call anybody in this world with no network charges by the assistance of the internet. The signal messaging app gives perfectly clear voice and video calling services to users.
You can send stickers to your contacts with encryption. Along these lines, nobody can decode your sticker. You can also make and offer your custom stickers.
It has a group feature which lets you create a group with your family, friends and other contacts. Thus, you can undoubtedly share information with every single individual from the group.
No promotions and no trackers
The signal is a totally non-profitable app so there are no advertisements on this app. No advertisements imply no affiliate marketers and no trackers exist to follow your activities.
It is a totally open source project for engineers. Thus, anybody can assist with building up this app for making it more user-friendly and more secure.
Benefits of Signal App:
- The messages, audio calls, video calls, group calls and even the stickers sent are start to end-to-end encrypted. This encryption technology that Signal originally created is presently used by WhatsApp and Skype.
- The messages on your chats can be set to disappear after a specific time. This time frame can be decided by the user based on their needs.
- The users cannot add members to their groups without their permission.
- The messages on Signal are stored on the gadget itself, which is your cell phone. The Signal app staff don’t store the information nor does it permit the users to backup their Signal conversations on the cloud (Google Drive or iCloud). This implies that when you transfer to another number or get another cell phone, you can’t move your messages on the new gadget or number.
- The signal app can also work on the PC or desktop simply like WhatsApp. However, the difference here is that all the chats that are on your cell phone don’t get stored on the PC and the other way around.
- You can send a message to any contact that exists on your contact list. Customers who don’t have the Signal messaging app installed on the phone will be sent messages through normal SMS.
- The sound and video calls on the Signal app are end-to-end encrypted. This can be seen through the little padlock symbol close to the telephone symbol.
- To move a current WhatsApp group to the Signal app, you need to make another group on Signal by adding only one individual from the group. Afterwards, share a generated group invite link on the WhatsApp group that you need to move to the Signal app. The users on WhatsApp can join the recently formed group on Signal by tapping on the link.
- You can also send messages to yourself on the Signal app through the ‘Note to Self’ choice. By this, you can keep a rundown or a note of significant things.
- The signal app gives you an alternative to blur your profile photograph.
WhatsApp vs Signal vs Telegram
WhatsApp is right now the biggest messaging platform on the earth, with more than 2 billion users. Telegram has around 400 million users, while Signal has around 20 million users.
While WhatsApp stands undefeated given a large number of users, we can’t avoid the developing market and popularity of Telegram and Signal.
WhatsApp has all the ingredients for a perfect recipe. This social messaging app has also added a payment feature to its hat. Users can add up to 256 members in the group. You can broadcast messages to various contacts, and also support voice and video calls, both for people and groups.
- Group video calls (that can handle 8 users at any given time).
- WhatsApp Status feature (also known as WhatsApp stories).
- Whatsapp allows you to share a wide range of files and documents (up to 100MB).
- Photographs, videos and audio notes can be shared up to 16 MB.
- Users can also share live location with their contacts.
- WhatsApp backup and restore messages and data on google drive and iCloud.
- WhatsApp uses end-to-end encryption (E2E) for messages, video calls, voice calls, photographs and any other data.
- WhatsApp utilizes E2E protocol created by Open Whisper Systems, same as Signal
Telegram offers support to groups with up to 200,000 contacts. Known for its huge and monstrous groups, Telegram offers a lot of group features, for example, bots, surveys, tests and hashtags, extensive for a large group experience.
- Telegram offers self-destructing messages. These messages disappear after a said point in time.
- You can share files as large as 1.5 GB on Telegram.
- Telegram supports video and voice calls as well.
- Telegram supports E2E a secret chat feature.
- Telegram has confirmed that it shares 0 bytes of data with any third party or government.
Going to the most latest member to the messaging party, Signal offers secure messaging, voice, and video calls and these are end-to-end encrypted. You can make groups, but you can’t broadcast messages to numerous contacts at once. Signal also lets its users make group calls.
- Like Telegram, Signal also supports self-destructing messages
- A Note to Self feature is also a highlight of the app. You can share your thoughts and ideas under this feature.
- Signal permits relay voice calls to its users, identity isn’t shared, same as using a VPN
- Signal uses back-end user-facing encryption administration
- It uses the open-source Signal Protocol to accomplish end-to-end encryption
- Signal additionally encrypts your metadata offering several layers of security
WhatsApp vs Signal vs Telegram: Which Messaging Giant is More Secure?
WhatsApp doesn’t encrypt backups (cloud or local). Whatsapp also doesn’t encrypt metadata, not at all like Signal, which is used to convey conversations between two endpoints. WhatsApp group chats have been before discovered to be filed on Google search, significant information breach.
Telegram group chats are not encrypted except if you use Secret Chats, which again just lets you chat to one contact at a time.
Regarding client security, Signal offers the most secure communication you can find on the internet. But the most secure app Signal falls short when it comes to all the fancy features WhatsApp and Telegram are offering. Signal naturally encrypts all the local files with a 4-digit passphrase. It also encrypts all the group calls.
What Sets Signal App Apart
FACEBOOK DOESN’T OWN SIGNAL
It has been shown to us time and time again that we cannot trust Facebook with our personal data. However, well over a billion people decide to send their most personal messages over apps made by the organization. And keeping in mind that Facebook says it can’t access messages sent over WhatsApp and doesn’t access messages sent via Facebook Messenger. But the organization mines your use of those apps for other information, for example how frequently you chat with somebody and whose contact numbers you have saved in your contact list.
Facebook doesn’t permit outside protection and security specialists to assess its data collection methods, nor the code of its messaging apps. That implies we simply need to take their word for it and trust that they are not taking advantage of any personal information. Also, many studies have shown that not a lot of people are willing to trust the organization with their data.
SIGNAL DOES NOT MINE USERS DATA FOR AD TARGETTING
So why escape from Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp to Signal and not some other messaging app? Since Signal is the only major messaging platform that can run on various platforms (such as android and ios) and avoids following you and your connections to other people. All the other major apps out there track you. And while Apple messages don’t. They are only available to iOS and macOS. Android users are not that lucky, so Signal app might come in handy.
About Signal App Security And Privacy
With regards to security, the Signal messaging protocol is by and large viewed as the most secure messaging protocol available. It is acceptable to such an extent that numerous other messaging apps, including Facebook Messenger, Skype, and WhatsApp, have claimed to adopt the protocol to be used in their apps.
With regards to privacy, Signal is a sure shot winner. As we examined before, Signal just records three pieces of data about their users. This is far less data than other platforms collect. Furthermore, Signal gives you a chance to take the privacy protections a step further. There are a lot of articles that can give you detailed directions on how to create your Signal account without using your phone number.